Monday, October 06, 2008

Mothers With Style










She hardly needs an introduction from me.


Sarah Jane has been featured in hundreds of places already: she was recently highlighted in an article in Utah Valley Magazine (pg. 36-37) ; her art is selling through Lilipinso, a children's art company in France (pg 10-11) ; she was a featured seller on the Etsy homepage; she had an article written about her in Design This Design That magazine; she just barely won a huge contest at Startup Princess...you get the idea. (and she only opened her shop up one short year ago!)



So why am I writing about her? Well, this incredibly talented artist (who is focusing her skills on children's vintage art right now), who is also a mother of two darling children, ages 2 and 3, just happens to be one of my very best friends. And even though I can't write an amazing article about her like one of the many that have already been written, I do happen to know a few things about her that all those journalists don't. (sorry Sarah~!)



Like how we've known each other since we were about 8 years old (is that even right Sar? I can't even remember before I knew you!) and had a serious obsession with Disney characters and Chicago (Why don't they make music like that anymore? Classic!) and how she could make the most amazing creations out of gum wrappers. Seriously! Like how she was the very first person I told that I was madly in love with this incredibly hot guy named Andrew, and how she didn't just sit and listen to me swoon, but she found some very productive ways to help my love-sickness--like helping me write his name in marker all over the inside of a pair of jean shorts that we shared (don't worry, she had a few of her own secrets written in there), and drawing me pictures of Andrew & I together, and helping me get my first picture of him by zooming in on just the two of us when we were posing for a picture with a big group of people--you know, just the kind of stuff you need from a girlfriend when you're 15. Like how we roomed together our first year of college when we both learned some important lessons about life, death, and love...but still managed to throw in some serious silliness inbetween all that.





Another thing I happen to know about Sarah Jane is that she's been working for years to develop her gift as an artist, and even at a young age she was getting a lot of recognition for her work, like being asked to attend Interlochen, a prestigious art school, when we were in high school. I consider myself lucky to own a few of her originals from about 15 years ago!





I know it doesn't really seem fair that someone who is such a talented artist could actually possess other gifts, but this woman does. She actually majored in Music Dance Theatre at BYU, because not only can she draw, but she just happens to be an incredible singer, dancer, and performer as well. Many happy memories involve watching her perform in her high school plays where she played the lead role again and again.





What's really amazing is how she's continued to be such a great friend through all the years that followed...college, marriage, babies, LIFE! And how she's still managed to not only hold on to those talents of hers through the crazy times of having two babes in one year, but she's actually strengthened and improved her skills. And now she has her own business, while still managing to be an incredible mother to her two little ones at home and a fabulous wife to her awesome husband.





Sarah Jane has a loving, generous heart. She is fiercely loyal to her family and as kind-hearted as a person can be. She's well worth getting to know, even if she didn't happen to be one of the greatest artists I know. Her blog is filled with humor and inspiration, so go check it out. You won't be sorry. And make sure to visit her shop...it's full of darling things you can't help but fall in love with!


P.S. SERIOUSLY...how did I end up with so many talented friends? I'll never know. More to come...




6 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

oh my gracious. Come on now! I saw your title...and I thought "Oh cool...I can't wait to meet these people!"...um, pictures of me? Oh brother. It is true though that we have been through everything! can you believe we've been sharing secrets for over 20 years???? And by the way...I still have those shorts:)

Christina said...

Sweet post. I love her work, too!

And maybe that walk to the store did get my labor started! I made the pasta in the morning while watching general conference and I ate it for dinner while holding my new babe!

Karin said...

Ohh, Becca- this was GOOD! LOVE the jeans idea. :) You 2 are BOTH amazing. I was just thinking of your "mothers with style" blog idea while mopping today, and wanted to steal it. But with posts like this one, I can hardly keep up! Love it, love you, love Sarah Jane:)

Rebecca said...

Karin, steal away! I'd love to hear about some friends of yours. You're the one I can't keep up with...your blog is fabulous and constantly updated. Wish I could say the same about mine! :)

Laura said...

Oh I TOTALLY AGREE!!!! Sarah, you are incredible with all that you have done and are doing and are the most amazing humble person too-- How does anyone keep up with both of you guys??? I love the pics, I haven't seen them before--Sarah, you have always been so beautiful!!!! And you need to brag more because not everyone knows all that you have done (namely me)!!

Rosie and Derek said...

I was admiring her work during the NieNie auctions, she does amazing, beautiful work! How very cool that you two grew up together.

What a great post!