Sunday, July 06, 2008

Nauvoo

Writing in this blog has started to feel like writing in my journal, and just like writing in my journal, I have a tendency to get behind and then struggle to decide if I should try and catch up, or just write about the most recent life events. (And as I try and decide, I just end up not writing anything!) Well, right now I will make a last effort to catch up...hopefully my efforts will be more successful than they have been with my journal!





Here are a few pictures from our afternoon in Nauvoo, Illinois. After leaving Wisconsin on our drive out west, we drove straight to Nauvoo. I have been there a few times before, so I was a little surprised at how overwhelmed I was when we drove around the corner and right before our eyes stood the gorgeous Nauvoo temple. It really is an amazing sight, and very touching to see the beautiful statue of Joseph and Hyrum Smith on their horses, facing the temple. It was built to commemorate the last sight they saw before leaving their homes on their way to Carthage jail, where they both were killed for their faith.







Of course we had to visit the brickyard. We barely made it there before they closed, but we couldn't leave Nauvoo without the traditional handmade brick!






There is a beautiful garden area behind the visitors center that has several different statues of women at different times in their life. It is a very beautiful, peaceful place and I love going there. But we did get a little silly trying to recreate the statues 'live'.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Karin said...

Way to make the most of your cross country drive! I am totally with you on the journal/blogging update issue. -To catch up or keep current, that is the question. I'm impressed you're doing either, in the middle of getting settled in a new home!
Embarassingly enough, we reinacted those statues with my own mom and siblings (ok, us younger 3) when I was like, 12!
ahhh, the memories:)

Lobdell family said...

Those are really neat pictures. It looks like you recreated the statues very well.

Esther Noelle said...

Great pictures! Love the statue ones! :)

Jen said...

Did you make it to the pagent? My brother is the director of it and every year I debate going and spending 3 weeks and being part of the cast. It would be so fun but it would be such a struggle with Bryce! My siblings that have done it say you are up until midnight. But I would at least like to get back there. It looks like you had an amazing trip!