Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hip Hip Hooray for Field Trip Day!












So one of the advantages of homeschooling is that we can go on field trips wherever we want whenever we want and stay as long as we want. I love going on field trips, sometimes I think I enjoy them more than the kids! And I think we all learn better when we are actually there, seeing and touching what we're learning about. So I decided that we would take a weekly field trip-every Friday. Most of these field trips we go on by ourselves, but sometimes we'll join other homeschooling families for our fun.

Some of the things we've done include: touring the post office, going behind the scenes at the bank, visiting a violin shop and learning how violins are made, caroling & performing a puppet show at nursing homes, visiting a butterfly exhibit, seeing plays, and of course, taking advantage of the zoo, aquarium, and musueums in the area.

In my quest for a new place to go each week, I've made some great finds. Some places are unexpected. I took the kids to a very small art museum that is only about 5 minutes from where I grew up, but I had never been there before. They have windows where you can watch local artists at work, and their art is displayed on the walls.
I also found a great indoor (i.e. winter survival) play place that was fantastic. It's basically a big warehouse space that has several areas sectioned off for different types of activites. All the walls are very low, so I can see from one end of the building to the other which made it easy to let the boys roam while I played with Annie. And they had all kinds of things for the kids to do: a real (old, but real) fire engine that the kids could climb and drive, including gear to wear; an entire area filled with sand and sand toys for the kids to climb in and get their fill of the beach in February; a puppet theatre & puppets; a real ambulance, dentist chair, and exam table for some pretty realistic 'playing doctor'; a dance floor complete with mirror, ballet bar, tap shoes, and music-I had to beg Annie to stay a little longer so I could keep dancing!; play food, grocery carts, cash registers; slides, jungle gyms...the list goes on. I think kids learn so much through play, and there were plenty of wonderful playing opportunities here. There were so many different areas that none of us got bored, and we only left after 4 1/2 hours because we had to get home!
So...take a closer look around where you live. Talk to some friends, check online, look in the paper. Even if you've grown up there, there just may be a few surprises waiting around the corner. And don't be afraid to try something new, I've been having at least as much fun during these 'children's activities' as my kids!
So what are some field trips you've been on (either as a kid or an adult!)?

7 comments:

Esther Noelle said...

Sounds like you've found some awesome places Becca! Have you ever been to the Lehi Legacy Center? It looks like a cool place and has a neat aquatics center. I think we're gonna go check it out!

Rob Parsons said...

I wish we went on that many field trips in school--I do have to say though that we did go on a few big trips--Williamsburg, New York, and D.C. Those were good times. Always loved a field trip to get me out of school!!

ERK, MRK, & GRK said...

What a super fun day! Sign me up next time!!!

Christina said...

We went to the Children's Museum of Denver when we were there over Christmas and it was amazing. It sounds like your indoor play place - there was a fire truck, dance studio, art studio, grocery store, there was a forest type place where you could go into the burrows and explore while you were dressed up like an ant. They had a special place for kids under 3, but your older brother or sister could escort you and wear a big helper apron. The kids just loved it there and I did too!
In Nova Scotia we went to a Maple Farm last year. It was so cool, we went when all the trees were tapped and you could walk out in the woods and explore. They also had a pancake house on site - we'll definitely take you guys there if you get to come back this year! You'd love it!

browneyedgirl said...

Becca, tell me more about this amazing warehouse with the fire engine, etc.?? So on my brother's field trip, they had tour buses to get them to their location. My mom was a chaperone and said how they were making really good time but didn't see the reason to speed so fast since they weren't late getting back. Well not too much later the cops pulled them over!!! Who doesn't enjoy a field trip?

Karin said...

Ahh, fun fun! You are such a creative mom and teacher! Those are some awesome places! In addition to your list, I'd add the firestation (where the kids got to try on gear, climb all over the fire truck and take home fireman hats), local zoo and a different petting zoo, and this week our playgroup will be going to Coldstone for a tour then the kids get to make their own ice cream. I love this post- makes me want to find out more in our area (and now my Mom's - as I have 3 weeks to kill here...). Let me know of any grand suggestions you may have for this area...

Rebecca said...

Esther, I haven't heard of the Legacy center, that sounds really fun! We'll have to go there when we come out.
Teresa, the place we went to was called "Playwise Kids" in Columbia.
Christina, I'd LOVE to go to a maple farm, how fun!
Coldstone sounds awesome, we'll have to try that one!