Thursday, March 06, 2008

Our Puppy Dog!







No, we have not actually bought a dog. This is a travesty to our boys, especially Robby, who desperately love animals, especially dogs. So far we've had the excuse that because we're renting, we aren't allowed pets. However, even if that weren't the case, I just don't know if I'm ready for this commitment.

Well, the boys don't just give up when they really want something. And so, they have trained their little sister to (somewhat) fulfil this need. Annie can now do several tricks on command. She'll sit, bark, fetch, roll over, eat from a bowl on the floor...you get the idea.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this yet. Adorable, yes, but I do feel slightly guilty that my boys are this desperate for something that I won't give them. And hopefully Annie won't have any negative effects from her role playing! :)

How well I remember as a child telling my mom (who didn't want dogs & cats in our house) that as soon as I grew up and lived in my own house, I was going to have a dozen animals. Ah, sad to grow up and face certain realities of life, huh?

Anyone else have pets & kids? I want to hear some advice on positive ways to make this work.

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

Oh that is SOOOOO cute! I just came back from visiting Karin (she is in town) and we were having this exact conversation. Her parents have both a dog and a cat, and my kids LOVE animals! Even with us not having pets, addie and ian are just so natural around them, and I fear that when addie is old enough that pets can be bought, she won't let it alone either. Kenneth and I are allergic to cats, and dogs shed...so I am just not sure how it would work! I can't wait to hear other people's advice on this one...sorry bec! But I think that your kids sure do look cute as puppies...you even got them a bone??? you're a great mom. don't feel guilty!

Christina said...

So funny! I don't have any advice either. I think we'll have a dog one day when there's space and the kids are a little older and can help some. We'll see - Joshua definitely wants one. Maybe a fish would keep them happy for the time being?

Amber H. said...

Ok, I have a few things I think can help!
First, there are dogs that don't shed...well, they shed like a human sheds, their fur is more like hair (not an undercoat and a topcoat like most dogs). These kind of dogs are the best if you have allergies too, because most peole aren't allergic to them.
We had a maltese and LOVED him. When my kids get older, we will get another one. We love that little guy! Next time I want a girl though! They are pure white, VERY smart, and such FUN dogs! The only down side to them with small kids, is they are small dogs, so you have to be careful. They are probably better for older kids, like Tyler's age. There are also different types of terriors that don't shed as well as shih tsu's don't either. They are both really sweet breeds as well! Those are the ones I know for sure.

Second, if you aren't wanting to get a puppy and do all of the work that involves training, look into rescue shelters. I'm sure living where you are that you can find all kinds of rescue places where you live. There are lots of places that do specific breeds also, so if you are looking for a maltese, look for a maltese rescue and so forth. Most of the dogs that come through those places are older, already potty trained, etc. so that takes a lot of the work out on your part!

Third, if you are going to have a dog, make it an inside dog or don't get one in my opinion. An outside dog is a neglected dog! Growing up I wanted a dog SO bad!!! We begged and pleaded with my mom until she finally gave in, but she would NOT him in the house under any circumstance. The problem is that you don't spend nearly enough time outside. That poor thing would only get about 15 to 20 minutes attention on any given day, and now that I look back on it I just feel aweful that we left that poor thing outside like we did. An inside dog always has access to everyone and therefore ends up being loved more. They are always beside you, so you naturally pet them, love them, etc. I just know way too many people who have outside dogs that never get ANY attention. I just don't think it's fair :o(

Anyway, sorry for the novel, but you asked! We love animals and even though they are a lot of work, they are SO worth it! I hope that helped :o)

I love those pictures too and the description of Annie! I was totally laughing at that! She looks really cute and I don't think she will have any lasting trauma from the experience :o) Just fun memories!

Esther Noelle said...

I think an Annie dog looks like the best kind of dog there is to own! :) I'm glad Rob doesn't really want a dog either and I don't know what I'll do when our kids are begging for one though.... no matter what the kids say it seems like it's always the mom/dad doing all the work.

ERK, MRK, & GRK said...

That is just soooo funny and cute! Those pictures are priceless! I totally remember begging my parents for pet and seriously the second I got out on my own, I haven't thought twice about getting one. You're children are just so darling!

Karin said...

Darling little doggie!!! That is so fun! No, no worries for Annie at all! As the 3rd child with 2 older brothers, I would have LoVeD ANY positive attention! I agree that she'll only come away with happy memories of this! And I have memories of you begging your mom for pets, too! You absolutely LOVED our cat, Libby, and dog, Ticker! Perhaps animals are more loveable when they aren't around 24/7. We will definitely be doing MUCH research before we get our dog. But seriously, they are so much work and right now my goal is to train children for a while... Plus what do you do with them when you skip out of town? I remember the teacher suggesting in some college class to actually NOT start with a fish because they die so easily and kids becoem attached to them as their "pet" which is a tough loss. Huh, I don't know what the answer is.
We visited a classroom at my dad's work where there were rats, an african millipede, a tarantula and a bearded dragon. Any of those interest you? (yuck!) For now we're happy with the worms we find in the garden...

browneyedgirl said...

Well a pet doesn't have to start out as a dog or cat. And yes a kitten or puppy is like having another child I've been told and can easily imagine. My parents never gave us the puppy my bros begged for but we did have many other smaller animals and she always said that those smaller animals were the test to see if we'd take care of a puppy. Well apparently we all failed because we never got a puppy. But 2 of my brothers have had dogs of their own, so I'm not surprised. Dogs and cats are for some families but not all! The puppy pictures were adorable, how cute!

Laura said...

so you know how I feel about dogs! I have such a hard time with the responsibilty but really for Harrison and Kennedy I don't know what I would do without her sometimes. Whenever either one was sad I just had to call Lucy over and it would make everything better! It is amazing how much it teaches them to love, have responsibilty, and fun! So...my suggestion is that once you have a yard (to let them go potty and play ourside to get energy out) then I would consider one. But until then, I think the responsibility would just make you annoyed at the animal since your out of town so much and neither of you are really dog people. But once the kids are a little older, they will play with it and love it and if you had a place to let them go without you having to go with them I don't think it would be all that bad!! ANYWAYS, Annie is so adorable I wouldn't trade her in for another animal for a LONG LONG time! You will have to show a movie of her "dog" moments at her wedding breakfast!! Your doing such a great job with them as usual!!

Marci said...

We have a dog with kids (as you might remember since Star really didn't seem to like Andrew). My advice--don't get a high energy dog if you live in a two bedroom apartment, with three children, in New York City. It's a ton of work! Especially when your dog has diarrhea on and off for a month and you often wake to the smell of poo wafting through the room. Ugh! I think your "dog" is perfect!

Rebecca said...

Wow, thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I guess we'll have to keep thinking through it and be really sure before we make the committment. Andrew's idea is to buy the neighbors a dog. Anyone want to move next door and we can buy a dog for you? :)